Chemistry Research & Consultancy
Consultancy work is taken up in the area of Cement analysis, Lime stone analysis, Analysis of lubricating oil, Water analysis, Coal analysis, Analysis of Deposits in boilers, Alloy analysis and Organic material analysis. The department has well equipped lab for all types of chemical testing in the field of diverse materials The department already possesses pH meters, colorimeter, conductivity meter, cold water bath, muffle furnace, electronic balance and standard ovens to carry out different research and consultancy works.
Department providing consultancy to different institution and mines in the state of Odisha in the following areas:
- Portability test of drinking water
- Fuel quality parameter testing
- Ore analysis
- Coal Testing
- Environmental Impact Assessment of industry and mines and preparation of environmental management report.
- Water pollution and air pollution monitoring of industry and mines
Research Proficiency of Departments:
- Number of publication in last 5 years: 120
- Number of PhD awarded by the faculty members: 24
- Average number of papers per year in SCI/Scopus journals: 20
- Number of projects handled by faculty members: 10
- Number of patent approved in department: 03 ( USA, Korea, Indian)
SOME SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS OF FACULTY MEMBERS
(A) PATENTS PUBLISHED:
1. Avraam I Isayev, Sarat K Swain, and Sergey Lapshine “Process Preparing Polymer Nanocomposites and Nanocomposites Prepared Therefrom” Publication No. # US 2010/0152325 A1, Publication Date: June 17, (2010)
(B) RESEARCH PAPERS IN SCI JOURNALS:
- S K Swain* G Prusty and R Das “Sonochemical Compatibility of PVA-PA Blend in Aqueous Solution” J. of Macromol Sci., Part-B: Phys., (2011) (Accepted) ISSN# 0022-2348 (Taylor & Francis)
- S K Patra, G Prusty and S K Swain* “Ultrasound assisted synthesis of PMMA/clay nanocomposites: Study of oxygen permeation and flame retardant properties ” Bull. Mater Sci., (2011) (accepted) ISSN# 0250-4707 (Springer)
- S K Kisku and S K Swain* “Polymethyl Methacrylate/soy Protein Green Composites as Gas Barrier Materials” Chinese J Polym Sci, 2011 (Accepted) ISSN# 0256-7679 (Springer)
- G. Prusty and S. K. Swain* “Synthesis and Characterization of Conducting Gas Barrier PAN/EG Nanocomposites” Polymer Composites, 32, 1336-1342, 2011 ISSN# 0272-8397 (Wiley)
- S K Patra, G Prusty and S K Swain* “Synthesis of PAN/clay nanocomposites: Study of gas permeation properties”, Int. J. Nano Sci., 10(4-5), 1101-1105, 2011. ISSN# 0219581X (World Scientific)
- S K Swain* and S. K. Patra “Ultrasonic and Viscometric Study of Synthesized PAN/clay nanocomposites”. Int. J. of Polym Mater, 60, 559-568, 2011. ISSN # 0091-4037 (Taylor & Francis)
- S K Swain*, “Polymer/clay nanocomposites by continuous sonication process” Journal Polymer Engineering, 31, 00-00, 2011 ISSN# (0334-6447) (Israel) In Press
- S. K. Patra and S. K. Swain*, “Swelling study of Superabsorbent PAA-co-PAM/clay Nanohydrogel”. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 120, 1533-1538, (2011) ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- S K Swain* and Prangya Priyadasrshini, “Ultrasonic and Viscometric Investigation of Soya Protein in Aqueous Solution”Ind. J. Pure Appl. Physics, 48, 539-52 (2010) ISSN # 0019-5596 (NISCAIR)
- A Mohanty and S K Swain* “Study of solution properties of albumin protein by ultrasonic technique”J. Ind. Chemical Society, 87(4), 461-464 (2010) ISSN# 0019-4522 (ICS)
- S. K. Swain* and I Jena “Polymer/CNT nanocomposites: A novel material” Asian J. Chem. 22(1), 1-15 (2010). ISSN# 0970-7077 (India)
- Ramakrishna M. H. S. S., S. K. Swain, A Thirumurugan and C. N. R. Rao “Two- and Three-dimensional Hybrid Compounds Formed by 1,2-, 1,3- and 1,4-Cyclo hexanedicarboxylates of Zinc” J. Gen. Inorg. Chem (ZAAC), 635, 1840-1847 (2009) ISSN# 0044-2313 (Wiley)
- S. K. Swain and A I Isayev “PA6/Clay nanocomposites by continuous Sonication Process” J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 114(4), 2378-2387 (2009). ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- P. K Sahoo, R. Samal, S. K. Swain, P. K. Rana, “Synthesis of Poly(Butylacrylate)/layer silicate Nanocomposites fire retardant” European Polym J. 44(9), 3522-3528(2008) ISSN # 0014-3057 (Elsevier)
- S. Lapshine, S. K. Swain and A I Isayev, “Ultrasonic Aided Process for Preparation of Polyolefin-Clay Nanocomposites” Poly,. Engg. Sci. , 84(8), 1584-1591 (2008) ISSN# 0032-3888 (Wiley)
- R. Samal, S. K. Swain, P. K. Rana and P. K Sahoo, “Study of biodegradability and Fire Retardant Properties of Poly(Butyl acrylate)/Sillicate Nanocomposites” J. Polym. Matter., 25(3), 397-406 (2008). ISSN# 0973-8622 (Oxford)
- S. K. Swain and A. I. Isayev, “Effect of Ultrasound on HDPE/Clay nanocomposites: Rheology, Structure and Properties” Polymer, 48(1), 281-189 (2007) ISSN # 0032-3861(Elsevier)
- S. K. Swain and A. I. Isayev, “Melt extrusion process for exfoliation of polyamide 6/clay nanocomposites: Study of oxygen permeability property” Polym Mater: Sci. & Engg, 96, 51-52 (2007) ISSN# 0743-0515 (ACS)
- S. K. Swain, R. K. Samal, P. K. Sahoo, “Synthesis and Characterizations of PBA/Silicate Nanocomposites by emulsifier free emulsion free mulsion Polymerization”,.Polymer Preprints ACS,47(2), 652-653 (2006).ISSN # 0032-3934 (ACS)
- P. K. Sahoo, P. K. Rana and S. K. Swain, “Synthesis and Characterization of PVA-co-PAA/NaCl Hydrogels: Swelling responsive and Biodegradability”, Int.J. Polym.Mater, 55(1), 65-78 (2006). ISSN # 0091-4037 (Taylor & Francis)
- S. K. Swain and A. I Isayev, “HDPE/Clay nanocomposites by continuous sonication process: Mechanical and Rheological study” Polymer Materials: Sci. & Engg 94, 690-691 (2006). ISSN# 0743-0515 (ACS)
- P.K.Sahoo, R. Mohapatra, A. Sahoo. N.L.Debsarkar, S. K. Swain, “Superabsorbency and Biodegradability of thosa variety Jute fibre, bleached pulp, unbleached pulp and Jute pulp-g-PAM”, Int. J. Polym. Analysis & Charact., 10, 153-167 (2005) ISSN # 1023-666X (Taylor & Francis)
- P.K.Sahoo, S. K. Swain, and P.K.Rana, “Intercalated Poly (Ethylhexylacrylate)/silicate Nanocomposites: Synthesis, characterization and biodegradability and pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) Properties”, J. Appl. Poly Sci,, 93, 1007-1011, (2004). ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- P. K.Sahoo, B. Samal and S. K. Swain, “Co (III)-mediated Microemulsion Polymerization of Acrylonitrile: Kinetics and Particle Morphology”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci, 91 (5), 3120-3126 (2004). ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- P.K.Sahoo, P. K. Rana A. Sahoo, N.L.Debsarkar S. K. Swain, “Characterization and Properties of Chemically modified Corchorus capsularis Jute Fiber via pulping and grafting :Infrared, Thermogravimetri Analysis, Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Scanning Electron Microscopy”, X-ray Diffraction, Biodegradation and Superabsorbency”, J.Polym. Sci,part-A, Polym. Chem.,41, 2696 – 2703, (2003) ISSN# 0887-624X (Wiley)
- P. K. Sahoo, S. K. Swain, G.C. Sahu, “Aqueous Polymerisation of MMA initiated by persulfate with catalysis of Cu(II)/Histridine chelate complex”,Polymer J. 35(4), 364-371,(2003). ISSN # 0032-3896 (JPS, Japan)
- P.K.Sahoo R. Mohapatra A.Sahoo and S. K. Swain, “Ultrasonic Investigation of PVA – Dextran mixture in aqueous solution”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 88(14), 3196-3202(2003). ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- P. K Sahoo, S. K. Swain and N.L. Debsarkar, “Preparation, Characterization and Properties of Unbleached, Bleached and Grafted Pulps from JRC-321 variety Jute Fiber”, J.Appl. Polym.Sci. 83(4), 1963-1969, (2002) ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- S. K. Swain and P.K.Sahoo, “Emulsifier-free Emulsion Polymerization of Acrylonitrile Catalyzed by Co(II)/Glycine Chelate Complex”, Arabian J. Sci. Engg. 27 (IA), 55-59, (2002). ISSN# 1319-8025 (Oxford)
- P.K. Sahoo, G.C. Sahoo and S. K. Swain “Effect of Cu(II)/H2Salen complex on the non-conventional initiated emulsion polymerization of acrylonitrile”, Eur.. Polym. J., 38, 345-350(2002) ISSN # 0014-3057 (Elsevier)
- S. K. Swain and P.K. Sahoo, “Synthesis of polyacrylonitrile (PAN) catalyzed by Ni (II)/glycine chelate complex through emulsion polymerization initiated by monopersulfate”, Ind. J. Chem.. Tech., 7, 259-263 (2000). ISSN # 0971-457X (NISCAIR)
- P. K. Sahoo, M. Dey, A. Behera and S. K. Swain, “Effect of in situ developed Cu(II)/alanine chelate complex on the emulsion polymerization of a acrylonitrile initiated by monopersulfate”, J. Polym. Mater , 17, 177-182 (2000). ISSN# 0973-8622 (Oxford, India)
- P.K.Sahoo and S .K. Swain, “Synthesis of Zirconocene–Acetylene and Zirconocene-Diacetylene polymers”, J. Polym. Sci. : Part A : Polym. Chem. 37, 3899-3902, (1999). ISSN# 0887-624X (Wiley).
- P.K.Sahoo, M. Dey and S. K. Swain, “Emulsifier–free Emulsion Polymerization of Acrylonitrile: Effect of in situ developed Cu (II)/Glycine chelate complex initiated by Monopersulfate”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 74, 2785-2790 (1999). ISSN # 0021-8995 (Wiley)
- Sukalyan Dash,P. Mukherjee, S. Sahu, S. K. Padhan, S. Patel, P. Mohapatra, B. K. Mishra: Temperature induced emulsification and demulsification of pseudoternary mixtures of Tween80-butanol-kerosene-water system (Industrial & Engineering Chem. Res. ACS, 2011, Accepted).
- Sukalyan Dash, M. Panigrahi, S. Patel, P. K. Behera, B. K. Mishra: 'Synthesis of cyanines: A review (Tetrahedron, 2011, Accepted).
- Sukalyan Dash, PS Guru: Eggshell particles (ESP) as potential adsorbent for styrylpyridinium dyes - A Kinetic and thermodynamic Study (J Dispersion Sci Tech, Accepted, 2011).
- Sukalyan Dash, P. Mukherjee, S. Patel, B. K. Mishra: Self Organized Assemblies of Surfactants Derived from Ethanolamines (J Dispersion Sci Tech, Accepted, 2011).
- Sukalyan Dash, P. Mukherjee, S. K. Padhan, S. Patel, B. K. Mishra: Clouding behaviour in surfactant systems (Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 162, 2011, 59-79).
- Sukalyan Dash, P. Mukherjee, S. K. Padhan, S. Patel, P. K. Mohapatra, B. K. Mishra: Effect of temperature on pseudoternary system Tween-80–butanol–hexane–water (J Colloid Interface Sci, 355, 2011, 157-163).
- Sukalyan Dash, M. Panigrahi, S. Patel, B. K. Mishra: Preferential Solvation of Styryl Pyridinium Dyes in Binary Mixtures of Alcohols with Hexane, Dioxane and Dichloromethane (J Phys Chem B, 115, 2011, 99-108).
- Sukalyan Dash, M. Panigrahi, S. Baliarsingh, P. K. Behera, S. Patel, B. K. Mishra: Cyanine dyes - nucleic acids interactions (Curr Org Chem, 15, 2011, 2673-2689).
- Sukalyan Dash, Bijay K. Mishra: The saga of green fluorescence protein (IPS News Letter, 46-47, 2009, 33-39).
- Sukayan Dash, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: Oxidation by permanganate: synthetic and mechanistic aspects (Tetrahedron, 69, 2009, 707-739). [Included in Chemistry Global Wikipedia]
- Sukalyan Dash, P. Mukherjee, S. Patel, H. N. Pati, Bijay K. Mishra: Alkylation of Ethanolamines: An Approach to a Novel Class of Functional Surfactants (Synthetic Commn., 39, 2009, 2529-2539).
- Sukayan Dash, S. Sahoo, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: A molecular structure descriptor derived from bond-disconnection: Application to quantitative structure property relationships (Indian J Chem., 48A, 2009, 921-929).
- Sukalyan Dash, B. B. Nayak, S. Sahu, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: Ce(IV) oxidation of alcohols using cetyltrimethylammonium ceric nitrate (Indian J. Chem., 47A, 2008, 1486-1490).
- Sukalyan Dash, S. Mishra, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: Organically Modified Silica: Synthesis and Applications due to its Surface Interaction with Organic Molecules (Adv. Coll. Interface Sci, 140, 2008, 77-94).
- Sukalyan Dash, S. Sahu, S. Sahoo, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: Deoximation of keto- and aldoximes to carbonyl compounds (Indian J Chem Sec B, 47B, 2008, 359.)
- Sukalyan Dash, M. Panigrahi, S. Patel, P. K. Behera, B. K. Mishra: Reversal in solvatochromism in some novel styrylpyridinium dyes having a hydrophobic cleft (Spectrochim. Acta. Part A, 68, 2007, 757).
- Sukalyan Dash, B B Nayak, S. Patel, Bijay. K. Mishra: Solution behaviour of cetyltrimethylammonium ceric nitrate (CTACN) (Indian J. Chem., 45A, 2006, 2229-2232).
- Sukalyan Dash, S. K. Parida, S. Patel, Bijay K. Mishra: Adsorption of organic compounds on silica surfaces (Adv Coll Surf Sci, 121, 2006, 77) (18th Hottest article during Oct-Dec, 2006 in all Journals of Sci Dir., and 1st Hottest article in that Journal for two consecutive quarters).
- Sukalyan Dash, Bijay K. Mishra: Oxidation of Cis-Olefinic double bonds by cetyltrimethylammonium permanganate (Indian J. Chem., 40(A), 2001, 159).
- Sukalyan Dash, Bijay K. Mishra: Mn(VII) Oxidation using cetyltrimethylammonium permanganate-Oxidation of Alkyl cinnamates (Indian J. Chem.,36(A), 1997, 662).
- Sukalyan Dash, Bijay K. Mishra: Mn(VII) Oxidation using cetyltrimethylammonium permanganate-Self oxidation of CTAP and Oxidation of Benzylalcohol (Int. J. Chem. Kinet.,27(7), 1995,627).
- Sukalyan Dash, Bijay K. Mishra: Oxidation of Styrylpyridinium Dyes by permanganate ion (Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 67, 1994, 673).
|Name of Faculty/Department
||Title of the Project
|Department of Chemistry
||Preparation of Surface Runoff and Dump Management Plan of Saruabil Chromite Mines.
||Misrillal Mines Pvt Ltd.
|Consultancy in Water Testing
||Aditya Aluminum HINDALCO Industries Limited., Odisha
|Consultancy in Water Testing
||Blue Fox,HINDALCO Ltd Odisha
|Consultancy in Testing of Purity of Diesel OiI
||Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Prestigious awards confirmed by faculty members
- Portability test of drinking water
- Samanta Chandra Sekhar Award from OBA, DST, Govt. Of Odisha
- DAE Young scientist award from Govt. India
- INSA Fellowship
- JNCASR Fellowship
- R K Nanda Award from Orissa Chemical Society
- Dayanidhi Pattanaik award from Orissa Chemical Society
- Etc. many more