MUSIC AND DANCE CLUB
Dr.Anil Kumar Kar
Assoc. Professor in Civil Engineering
Asst. Professor in Mechanical Engineering
Vision of Music and Dance Club
- Building team spirit in the club.
- To spread awareness about various art forms within ourselves and in the society.
- Providing all the essential requirements to the budding talents.
- Regular practice sessions for better performance and participation.
- To practice in a proper environment without disturbing the academic part of the university.
- Active participation in both state and national level cultural fests for spreading the word of the ignited talents of the university throughout.
- Regular meetings for proper execution of such plans and to discuss their problems and requirements.
- Conducting classes for the non-members to learn any dance form, instruments as well as vocals.
- To send members to participate in on-going workshops and sessions held by other colleges to learn and develop further.
- Conducting university level competitions among the students to encourage their talents.
The official Music & Dance Club of University is composed of two wings. The Music wing was officially re-named as SOULS and the dance wing was named as VIBRANZ in the year 2008. It draws a lot of appreciation from teachers, students as well as general public for its astounding performances. Since then, the club evolved each and every year due to the continuous hard work of the team members and the co-ordinators. The club has also represented the University at various events and bagged many awards and prizes almost every year at different platforms. The performances of the club include all kinds of music & dances starting from classical forms like Hindustani classical, Western classical, Ghazals, Sufi music, Odissi, Bharatnatyam, Kathak, Kuchipudi dances, folk songs and dances like Sambalpuri, Lavni, etc, as well as contemporary forms like western rock metallic music and Freestyle, Salsa and Hip-Hop dance numbers. It possess various kinds of instruments like tabla, guitars, drums, keyboards, synthesizer, amplifiers as well as ample microphones and mixers for practice sessions as well as for stage shows.It conducts auditions every year for induction and regular vocal and instrumental workshops for aspiring learners too. The club members are disciplined, dedicated,and sincere and believe that practice makes a man perfect, therefore, regular practice sessions are held in the club every day from 5.00-7.00pm which is situated behind the auditorium.The club gives opportunity to the aspiring amateur artistes to showcase their talent and creativity to their fullest and provides them exposure to build themselves as independent artistes.
- B.Tech students named Subham Hota, Anshuman Mishra and Sonal Panda participated in ZEE Kalinga Reality Show,Music Mahasangram 2014 and qualified for gala round.
- Sonal panda (2nd year Computer Science B.Tech) also participated in saregamapa lil champs and was amongst the top 6 contestants aired in Zee Sarthak. Was amongst the Top 100 inThe Voice India Kids season-1,Top100 in Indian Idol Season-11,Top 100- Indian Idol Junior season-2,Top 150 Rising Stars India, Top 10 in Santoor Singing Superstar aired on MbCTv,semi-finalist in Music Mahasangram aired on Zee Kalinga and awarded by Govt. of Iran for a radio show.
- Akankshyaa Das (3rd year B.Tech) was recognised as light vocalist by PRASAR BHARATI, ALL INDIA RADIO, SAMBALPUR,was a participant in Mini Superstar by ARNAPURNA PICTURES,has bagged second prize in reality show, SWARA TARANG by A.K.ENTERTAINMENT and Second prize in state level singing competition conducted by Blind school association,was awarded as People’s choice award in RAIMS 2018 and RAIMS 2019, VSSUT for singing and hosting skills.
- The band members of the club won rock band competition in the business and cultural fest called EQUINOX at IIM Raipur in December 2015 and rock band competition at IGIT Sarang in the year January 2016.
- Amrit Jagannath was the 2019-WINNER of ROYAL RUMBLE (1X1 open style East zone All India level dance competition).
- Ankit Barwa was 2019-WINNER of STREET BIZ (1x1 Hip Hop East Zone All India level dance competition).
- Team MAKHTUB of the club were the second runners-up in rock band competition DECIBELZ event at Expressions 2k19 at XIMB Bhubaneshwar in December 2019.
- B.Tech Students named Aditya Mallick, Ankush B.Barwa, Ankit B.Bawra, Ankit Sahu, Rajeeta P., Siddharth, Rajat Sharma and Shubham Hota who are professional artistes now laid their stepping stone with the help of the Music & Dance club of University only. The club along with other clubs of the cultural society plays an essential role in organising and managing the SAMAVESH (Annual technical festival) and VASSAUNT (Annual cultural festival) and renowned celebrities like Rituraj Mohanty, Amit Sana, Rahul Vaidya, Stebin Ben, Sohini Mishra, Adarsh Mishra, International dance artists, Realise and very popular bands like SUNBURN have come to the University to conduct workshops and have also performed at the celebrity night in VASSAUNT festival. The club has been active even during this COVID-19 pandemic and utilised it to its benefit by conducting online live sessions on Instagram called Soulful Sessions with club alumni and present members during weekends since June 2020 and is continuing to keep the spirit alive, acting as a method of relaxation to release the fear and anxiety of all the students. The club also conducted an intra-college online music competition “Sargam” on 10th August 2020, where the winners were given a chance to perform live on clubs official Instagram account.
Presently, the club is at its pinnacle of success and is getting invitations from various reputed colleges and companies for concerts and stage performances. The singer of the famous song Rangabati, ‘Shri Jitendra Haripalji’ was felicitated by the university during VASSAUNT-2K19 and the students also got a chance to interact with him and learn the essence of the world famous Sambalpuri folk music from him. Similarly, Padma Shri, and Lokkabi Ratna, Shri Haldhar Nagji, the renowned poet who was felicitated by the university also provided his insights and encouraged students of the club looking at their level of enthusiasm and ingenuity. Presently, the club has Suman Panda (B.Tech Final year) as the Secretary and Aron acts as the Assistant Secretary.By far, it has emerged as one of the most popular and one of the best clubs of the university and envisages to spread its wings worldwide. Music & Dance Club welcomes everyone who loves to move with the Vibranz and connects to the Souls.
Some other achievements of this Club are as under:
- Participated in 2011, 2012-MOOD I, IIT Bombay.
- 2013-IIT KGP (Top 10 out of 47 groups all over INDIA). #2014-Nav Youth Fest, Bhubaneshwar(Ankush Barwa selected directly into finals).
- 2014-Nav youth fest, Bhubaneshwar (Ankush B Barwa was selected directly into the finals).
- 2017-IIT KGP(Raju Behera 3rd in shake a leg and 2nd in foot loose in NIT Rourkela).
- 2018-IIT KGP (top 8 in streetz).
- 2019-IIT KGP Runners Up in STREETZ SHUFFLE.
- Has been a regular performer at IIT KGP Spring Fest, XIMB Bhubaneshwar, NIT Rourkela Nitrutsav and at several other competitions.
- Souls is now invited as a guest band at MCL Burla, VIMSAR Burla.
- Souls is now conducting various musical concerts and competition during SAMAVESH and VASSAUNT at Veer Urendra Sai University of Techology Burla.
- 2019-IIM Sambalpur Winner at annual cultural fest ETHOS.
- 2019-Runner’s Up STREET BIZ (Amrit Jagganath 1X1 Hip Hop EAST ZONE).
- 2019-Winner CHOREO STATE LEVEL Competition (Rudra Prasad Maharana).
- Organisation of National Level Breaking And Openstyle Battle (TO THE BEAT).
- 2020- IIT KGP 2nd Runner’s Up in SHUFFLE.
- 2020-WINNER IIM SBP ETHOS.
- 2020- RUNNER’S UP SOLO IIM SBP (SUBHAM DEY).
- 2020-WINNER HIPHOP SILICON INSTITUTE OF TECH. FEST(ANKIT B BARWA).
- ORGANISATION OF 2 DAYS WACKING WORKSHOP in the university during March-2020 at SAMAVESH-2k19.
The link below contains some of the photographs of the Music and Dance Club