Dr. Kamal Pal (HOD Production Engineering)
Associate Professor & HOD
||B.E(Jadavpur University) Production Engineering, M.E (IIEST, Shibpur), PhD (IIT Kharagpur)
Manufacturing or Production, in its broadest sense, is the process of converting raw materials into useful products. It encompasses the design and manufacturing of goods, using various production methods and techniques. Manufacturing is the backbone of any industrialized nation and its level of manufacturing activity is directly related to the economic health. Advanced Production Technology with computer controlled processes is the present day need by the manufacturing industries.
Scope of Production Engineering
Production Engineering has emerged as an independent discipline catering to the global need. Thus, the department was started in the year 1996 with an annual intake of 30 with the following objectives and core values.
- Promote academic excellence.
- Raise the level of knowledge, competence and skills in the area of manufacturing engineering.
- Implementation of new curriculum and innovative instructional methods, such as self-paced learning, problem-solving projects, training in industry.
- Establish and expand research capabilities for students and faculty.
- Consulting projects that will serve industry and the community.
- Exposure and experience with advanced manufacturing technologies such as Robotics, FMS, CIM, Non-conventional machining etc..
Core production engineering subjects, topics on advanced production technologies, IT related subjects and topics on managerial skills are carefully designed and put in the course structure to produce industry ready professionals. The job opportunities lie both in core manufacturing sectors and IT sectors. Due to high rate of globalization and industrialization, the scope of employment for manufacturing professionals is vast and is ever increasing.
To be recognized as a center of excellence in education and research in the field of Production Engineering by producing innovative, creative and ethical Production Engineering professionals for socio-economic upliftment of society in order to meet the global challenges.
Production Engineering Department of VSSUT Burla strives to impart quality education to the students with enhancement of their skills to make them globally competitive through:
- Maintaining state of the art research facilities to provide conducive environment to create, analyze, apply and disseminate knowledge.
- Fortifying collaboration with world class R&D organizations, educational institutions, industry and alumni for excellence in teaching, research and consultancy practices to fulfil ‘Make In India’ policy of the Government.
- Providing the students with academic environment of excellence, leadership, ethical guidelines and lifelong learning needed for a long productive career.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO-1:To acquire competency in solving real-life problems and to design/develop sustainable and cost-effective products according to the prevailing socio-economic context.
- PEO-2:To make them enable to excel in their professional career/entrepreneurial skill/research and higher studies.
- PEO-3:To provide opportunity to work and communicate effectively in a team and to engage in the process of life-long learning.
B.Tech. in Production Engineering
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Atthe time of graduation, the students will be able to:
- PSO1: Identify, formulate design and investigate Production Engineering problems using first principles of mathematics, basic science and engineering.
- PSO2: Establishthemselves as practicing professionals in core service or research sector or entrepreneurial endeavors by solving real life engineering problems to offer techno-commercially feasible and socially acceptable solutions using contemporary knowledge and tools.
- PSO3: Communicate ethically and effectively as well as demonstrate aspiration to learnand ability to handle problems with professional attitude.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to solve complex problems in production engineering.
- PO2: Ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex production engineering problems using first principle of mathematics, basic science and engineering.
- PO3: Ability to design, implement and evaluate production engineering projects to meet societal and environmental needs.
- PO4: Ability to design and conduct complex production engineering experiments as well as to analyze and interpret the experimental data.
- PO5: Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for relevant engineering practices.
- PO6: Ability to assess impact of contemporary social issues on professional practice.
- PO7: Ability to recognize the sustainability and environmental impact of the engineering solutions.
- PO8: Ability to follow prescribed norms, responsibilities and ethics in engineering practices.
- PO9: Ability to work effectively as an individual and in a team.
- PO10: Ability to communicate effectively through oral, written and pictorial means with engineering community and the society at large.
- PO11:Ability to understand and apply engineering and management principles in executing projects.
- PO12:Ability to recognize the need for and to engage in life-long learning.
M.Tech. in Manufacturing System Engineering
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1: The students will be able to understand, model and solve problems relatedto manufacturing areasby applying engineering knowledge and management practices.
- PSO2: The students will be able to offer techno-commercially feasible and socially acceptable solutions to real life engineering problemsin the areas of manufacturing and management applications.
- PSO3: The students will be effective communicator, desire to learn and be able to handle problems with professional attitude.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: Ability to independently carry out research/investigation and development work to solve practical problems pertaining to Manufacturing System Engineering.
- PO2: Ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
- PO3: Ability to demonstrate a degree of mastery over Production Engineering domain to further comprehend and inculcate Manufacturing System related issues.
- PO4: Ability to apply techniques, skills and modern engineering tools to design, conduct, analyze and interpret experimental data for relevant engineering practices.
- PO5: Ability to identify, formulate, design, demonstrate and apply engineering ideas and management principles in executing production engineering projects to meet the sustainability, societal and environmental needs.
- PO6: Ability to recognize the need for and to engage in life-long learning.
HOD, Production Engineering
VEER SURENDRA SAI UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, Burla, Odisha (INDIA)
Sambalpur, Odisha, 768018
Ph No: 0663 - 2430549