Dr. Kamal Pal (HOD Production Engineering)
Associate Professor & HOD
||B.E in Production Engineering (Jadavpur University), M.E in Mechanical Engineering (Bengal Engineering College (D. U), presently IIEST, Shibpur, Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering (IIT Kharagpur)
Manufacturing or Production, in its broadest sense, is the process of converting raw materials into useful products. It encompasses the design and manufacturing of goods, using various production methods and techniques. Manufacturing is the backbone of any industrialized nation and its level of manufacturing activity is directly related to the economic health. Advanced Production Technology with computer controlled processes is the present day need by the manufacturing industries.
Scope of Production Engineering
Production Engineering has emerged as an independent discipline catering to the global need. Thus, the department was started in the year 1996 with an annual intake of 30 with the following objectives and core values.
- Promote academic excellence.
- Raise the level of knowledge, competence and skills in the area of manufacturing engineering.
- Implementation of new curriculum and innovative instructional methods, such as self-paced learning, problem-solving projects, training in industry.
- Establish and expand research capabilities for students and faculty.
- Consulting projects that will serve industry and the community.
- Exposure and experience with advanced manufacturing technologies such as Robotics, FMS, CIM, Non-conventional machining etc..
Core production engineering subjects, topics on advanced production technologies, IT related subjects and topics on managerial skills are carefully designed and put in the course structure to produce industry ready professionals. The job opportunities lie both in core manufacturing sectors and IT sectors. Due to high rate of globalization and industrialization, the scope of employment for manufacturing professionals is vast and is ever increasing.
To emerge as an internationally acclaimed hub in creating engineers and researchers with skill sets matching the requirement of industries.
- To design curricula towards addressing contemporary needs in industries and academia.
- To expand scope of laboratories bringing in continuous improvement through equipment and engineering tools
- To promote independent learning among students
- To develop collaborations with industries and academia within and outside the country towards promoting exchange in students, faculty and technical know-how
- To encourage students and faculty members for active participation and involvement in innovative research and consultancy.
- To inculcate team spirit among students from diverse groups.
- To encourage students and faculty to engage in imparting appropriate skill to the socially and economically backward persons.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO-1: They will be able to establish themselves as practicing professionals in core service or research sector in the domain of production engineering.
- PEO-2: They will be able to solve real life engineering problems using contemporary knowledge and tools.
- PEO-3: They will be able to communicate ethically and effectively.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to solve complex problems in production engineering.
- Ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex production engineering problems using first principle of mathematics, basic science and engineering.
- Ability to design, implement and evaluate production engineering projects to meet societal and environmental needs.
- Ability to design and conduct complex production engineering experiments as well as to analyze and interpret the experimental data.
- Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for relevant engineering practices.
- Ability to assess impact of contemporary social issues on professional practice.
- Ability to recognize the sustainability and environmental impact of the engineering solutions.
- Ability to follow prescribed norms, responsibilities and ethics in engineering practices.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and in a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively through oral, written and pictorial means with engineering community and the society at large.
- Ability to understand and apply engineering and management principles in executing projects.
- Ability to recognize the need for and to engage in life-long learning.
HOD, Production Engineering
VEER SURENDRA SAI UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, Burla, Odisha (INDIA)
Sambalpur, Odisha, 768018
Ph No: 0663 - 2430549