Dr. (Ms.) Banaja Mohanty (HOD Electrical Engineering)
Associate Professor and HOD
||B.Tech.(C.E.T,O.U.A.T, BBSR), M.Tech.(U.C.E, S.U,Burla), Ph.D(VSSUT, Burla)
Scope of Electrical Engineering
The Department of Electrical Engineering of VSSUT is one among the first branches to be instituted in 1956. While retaining its strength in traditional areas of engineering, the department grew with time, reflecting the needs of a changing society and established new areas of teaching & research in electrical engineering. The department is AICTE acrreditated.
The syllabi of the department has tremendously augmented with many advanced courses with focus on the following areas: Network analysis & synthesis, machine analysis & design; control engineering; Basics of analog & digital electronics circuits; microprocessor & micro controllers; procedural & object-oriented languages; and in-depth coverage of power systems.
State of the art infrastructure has been established in order to promote acongenial academic environment to impart quality education.
Sincere efforts have been made to implement the decentralized functioning in its letter and spirit. Student sub-committees have been set up who work along with the Lab. In-Charge, and staff attached to the laboratory towards up-keep and effective utilization of the assigned laboratory. Through devolution of powers, the administration in the department has been effectively made transparent.
To produce Electrical Engineers with dynamic well rounded personalities adaptable to ever increasing demands of emerging technologies involving analytical and practical skills.
- To develop the department as a renowned academic center of learning in the discipline of electrical engineering.
- To establish research and development center of repute so as to encourage active participation with industry by staff and students to take on practical problems of industry and to provide feasible solutions.
- To establish tie-ups with institutions of national and international repute and to foster building up of a wide knowledge base to keep in tune with ever increasing demands of technologies.
- Developing simple, appropriate technologies, which will be instrumental in the up-liftment of rural society.
Long Range Goals
- Up gradation of existing laboratories so as to enable the students and faculty to study and provide feasible solutions to technical problems of the industry.
- To establish research and development center.
- To have tie ups with renowned institutions.
- To establish a center for dissemination of technical knowledge to rural areas by taking up projects in appropriate technology.
Short Range Goals
- To bring out skilled and disciplined graduates by imparting quality education in the field of electrical engineering.
- To recruit well-qualified and experienced faculty to enhance the quality of teaching.
- Setting up of well-equipped laboratories.
- Encouraging the faculty to update their knowledge through quality improvement programmes.
- To promote the use of computer based resources in teaching and training.
- To organize faculty orientation programmes by arranging technical talks, conducting workshops, seminars involving experts in the respective fields.
- To organize programmes aimed at all-round development of students by conducting inter collegiate programmes on technical and cultural activity.
Programme Educational Objectives (B. Tech)
- P1. VSSUT Graduates shall have basic and advanced knowledge in Electrical Engineering with specialized knowledge on the design and commissioning of electrical system/renewable energy system comprising of generation, transmission and distribution along with the requisite knowledge in mathematics, sciences, management & engineering fundamentals and shall become eminent, excellent and skillful engineers.
- P2. VSSUT Graduates with superior technical competencies shall succeed in getting engineering position with electrical design, manufacturing industries or in software & hardware industries, in private or government sectors, at Indian and in Multinational organizations. They will succeed in the pursuit of advanced degrees in engineering and practice life-long independent learning.
- P3. VSSUT Graduates shall have good communication skills, work effectively on team-based projects, become entrepreneurs, practice ethics and have a sense of social responsibility.
Programme Outcomes (B. Tech)
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a engineering system, component or process.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulates, and solves engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Capable of qualifying in national level competitive examinations for successful higher studies and/ or employments.
Programme Educational Objectives (M. Tech)
- To develop specialized manpower for electrical power and energy industry.
- To enhance analytical skills so as to enable to solve complex industrial problems.
- To augment the students’ capacity in pursuing research in emerging areas of power system.
- To improve students’ perspective towards environmental issues by sensitizing and building the awareness of green technologies.
- To inculcate the culture of research oriented projects with state-of-art facility laboratories in power system.
Programme Outcomes (M. Tech)
- Work in power industry which is involved with the aspects of generation, transmission, and distribution.
- Shoulder responsibilities in planning and utilization of electrical energy.
- Design of electrical systems.
- Analyze and model the complex electrical systems.
- Expose to the recent state-of-art in electrical engineering.
- Contribute in academics.
- Undertake research in emerging areas of power systems.
- Use recent soft tools in analysis of power system problems.
- Deploy knowledge and skills in inter-disciplinary areas.
- Understand the importance of financial aspects in power system infrastructure development.
- Appreciate the impact of industrial activities on global warming and finding the sustainable technical solutions.
Programme Specific Outcomes
Program Specific Outcomes for B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering
- PSO1. Apply the knowledge of Electric circuits, Control systems, Electrical machines, Power Electronics and Power system. to solve complex engineering problems in the discipline of Electrical Engineering
- PSO2. Develop suitable techniques and cutting-edge engineering hardware and software tools in electrical engineering to solve practical problems.
- PSO3. Aware of the impact of professional electrical engineering solutions on social, economic, environmental and technological sustainability.
Program Specific Outcomes for M.Tech. in Power Systems Engineering
- PSO1. Ability of design, modelling and analysis of power system components using the latest available tools.
- PSO2. Develop suitable techniques and cutting-edge engineering hardware and software to solve problems in the domain of power system engineering.
Program Specific Outcomes for M.Tech. in Power Electronics and Control
- PSO1. Ability of design, modelling and analysis of power electronic components using the latest available tools.
- PSO2. Develop suitable techniques and cutting-edge power electronics based hardware and software for the solution of practical problems.
Program Specific Outcomes for M.Tech. in Control and Instrumentation
- PSO1. Ability of design, modelling and analysis of controls instrumentation systems components using the latest available tools.
- PSO2. Develop suitable techniques and cutting-edge control and instrumentation system hardware and software for efficient monitoring and control of engineering systems.
Words from H.O.D.
The Department of Electrical Engineering at VSSUT is recognized among the leading centers of teaching and research in Electrical Engineering in the country. In every semester along with regular theory courses students have to take at least 3 to 4 laboratory courses which instill confidence in the student to handle practical problems in the field of engineering. After the fourth and sixth semesters, the students are sent for Industrial Training to various national institutes , National laboratories , industries and electric utilities all over India during the summer vacation. This gives the students the exposure to work in the industrial environment.
For the last several years the graduates of this department have been well received by the various sectors of the industry. Alumni from the department are enjoying very well respected positions in organizations in and outside India. The department is ready to provide the industry with another young dynamic lot of engineers well equipped with the determination and the skill to excel in whatever they choose to do.
Contact for Further Details
Head of the Department
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology, Odisha
P.O. Engg. College, BURLA, Dist: Sambalpur
Odisha, India, PIN: 768018